Thursday, May 9, 2019

When the Journey Gets Tough

It’s easy to get caught up in our every day struggle. Likewise, it’s easy to understand that sometimes we get so stuck that we forget that— even in our most difficult moments— it’s not about us. Francis Chan wrote in his book Crazy Love, “If life were stable, I’d never need God’s help. I am thankful for the unknowns and that I don’t have control, because it makes me run to God.”  That’s such a tough pill to swallow because most of us like to know where we are headed, how we will get there, and what difficulties we will face. Those of us who deal with anxiety especially worry about all the major and minute details of our circumstances. However, if we knew every detail of where our life was headed and the struggles we would face, perhaps we would not be so keen to face them head on. Still , God reminds us that in all of this we should always turn to Him— that through him we have strength and that we will ultimately be blessed. Often times we get so comfortable or confident in our own abilities that God has to give us a “gentle” reminder that we need him.  Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 12 that God allowed him to experience difficulty to keep him from becoming conceited. It isn’t that God wants us to suffer, rather, just like I often give my students challenging assignments and questions,  I want them to recognize that they do not yet know it all, that there is still much to learn, and that in that learning process there is growth. Our experiences, no matter how difficult, are an opportunity for maturity. God promises us this: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” He is there to teach, guide, mentor, and help grow us. As a teacher, I would never throw a challenge at my students without building them up, guiding, and supporting them. With even more reason, it is in those overwhelming moments where He is the most near to teach us what we may not yet understand, to guide us exactly where we need to  

No comments:

Post a Comment